This is the type of food I turn to on a cozy Saturday or Sunday - a sit down meal with the fam. I wouldn't necessarily say it is "gut friendly" but it is so so good and gives you all the comfort that a meal could possibly offer.
Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 30 min
1 block of paneer - cut into cubes
4 tomatoes - finely chopped
1 - 2 onions - diced
1 small green chilli - diced
2 - 3 cups water
2 tbsp butter / ghee or avocado oil
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp corriander powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Pink salt to taste (I typically add 2 tsp)
Cilantro and lime wedges for garnish
- In a sauce pot, start with warming up the oil on medium heat, then saute' the onions until they have caramelized
- Add in the all the tomatoes and green chili, give it a mix and let them sautee' for about 3 minutes
- Gently add in all the spices - turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Add 1 cup of water, cover the sauce pot halfway with a lid and let it cook for 5 min
- After the onions and tomatoes have cooked through, add in the salt
- Add extra water if needed and cook for another 5 mins
- At this stage, the tomatoes and onions should have cooked through and should have thickened up a little. You will also noticed the oil starts to float up on top from the edges of the sauce pot.
- Finally add in the paneer cubes and give it a mix.
- Let it marry with the sauce for a couple of minutes. You can turn off the heat now - Butter Paneer is READY!
This dish is perfect with some rice, naan or pita! Serve garnished with cilantro and lime wedges!